Monday, July 11, 2011

Mogey's Coffee History

You might know MorganEve Swain as one half of the amazing band Brown Bird, but she also works here as Assistant Production Manager. She is my favorite smiling face to see in the morning.

A man at a bowling alley named her Mogey, and it stuck forever.

I try to always use the best picture I can find. (Sorry, Mogey.)



















"My first experience with coffee was drinking it with dessert out of delicate cup-and-saucers at Nanny's house (my mother's mother). It didn't matter that I was 5 years old; if was proper to drink coffee with dessert! For years afterward I always began my day with a cup of coffee a la Nanny: extremely light and extremely sweet.

During college, I got a job at a cafe (which shall remain nameless). I was one of the original employees at this cafe, which had just started up. We had Intellegentsia coffee, and where shipped several different roast levels and varieties each week. On slow days we'd brew up a whole bunch of half batches of different coffees and have our own "cuppings". That was my first introduction to the world of real coffee. Each coffee came with a description, which we'd read and try to identify the flavor notes. We'd also try to memorize which coffee was which, based on their flavor notes.

Once I was trained on the espresso machine, I was really in love. I liked nothing more than to have a line of drink tickets and be literally stuck on bar, cranking out lattes.

After a while the quality of the shop started suffering, and the stress level didn't match the sort of work we were doing. And I left. In favor of New Harvest, where I hoped to expand my knowledge of coffee and enter into coffee-world from the other side of the counter. And that's exactly what I did. Man, I love this place."


No comments:

Post a Comment